Thursday, April 16, 2015

Screw the Hobit, this is my Unexpected Journey


Dimzeni farm

I never thought of becoming a volunteer. I didn’t even agree with the concept. Normally it is just a white rich kid’s wet dream of helping the poor little children and then comeback to their home country and everything’s the same. But one day a friend of mine sent me the link to the Boltik Baik project, and I immediately knew that I need to do it. At the base it’s the combination of two of my favourite things, video and bicycles; it’s an opportunity to live abroad for the first time, and to get out of Lisbon’s routine. What could be bad? And even the bad things will be great for me, I thought.
So when I knew I was accepted I didn’t know much. I’m going to Latvia, to the north, to a coast city called Liepaja, to work with bicycles and video, I kept saying to people around me. I only found out where Latvia was in the map two days before coming to advance planning visit. So here I went to the plane thinking I would stay in the city and probably travel by myself. I didn’t have expectations and I didn’t have a goal. I just went.
The sauna in Dimzeni

And two weeks later none of that it’s true. Yes, at the superficial this is a project about bikes and video, but it’s so much more than that. It’s about renovating a workshop from scratch and getting your hand dirty. It’s about getting to know Latvia and it’s customs and rituals. I mean, in the last two weeks I saw fish jumping Europe’s widest waterfall, I saw snow suddenly falling when an incredible woman starts to sing a bird calling Easter song, I sent all my bad soul stuff to the river and I think it’s actually working – and I’m a sceptical-not-fond-of-esoteric-stuff monster. And I went to sauna for the first time in my life in a more than 100 year’s old wooden building and jumped in a freezing river afterwards. It was so intense! Sauna is a 90º homoerotic masochist therapy that cleans you on the inside, on the outside and your brain – or soul if you prefer. Really! I never thought it could be so great. I was just screaming of pleasure.
Svete river
And jumping in the river? A powerful drug. When you jump you feel a shock followed by an awakening, a new birth. When I got out of the water I was dizzy for a while and then all the strong feelings started to kick in. I felt like I was super concentrated and full of energy with a wow-feeling about everything. The nature, the trees, the people with me… everything’s so beautiful! And then I went inside, warmed up again, had a bath, and went to have dinner, and I just felt sooo clean and relaxed. I can’t believe there are so many people – like I was before – who never tried, and probably never will, sauna and jumping in a freezing river.
To all of you my fellow friends I say: I feel sorry for you! I’m a lucky southern bastard.

I’m so glad I really came to Latvia. I just hope that I can come back also after the project.



João

1 comment:

  1. A GREAT SPELL CASTER (DR. EMU) THAT HELP ME BRING BACK MY EX GIRLFRIEND.
    Am so happy to testify about a great spell caster that helped me when all hope was lost for me to unite with my ex-girlfriend that I love so much. I had a girlfriend that love me so much but something terrible happen to our relationship one afternoon when her friend that was always trying to get to me was trying to force me to make love to her just because she was been jealous of her friend that i was dating and on the scene my girlfriend just walk in and she thought we had something special doing together, i tried to explain things to her that her friend always do this whenever she is not with me and i always refuse her but i never told her because i did not want the both of them to be enemies to each other but she never believed me. She broke up with me and I tried times without numbers to make her believe me but she never believed me until one day i heard about the DR. EMU and I emailed him and he replied to me so kindly and helped me get back my lovely relationship that was already gone for two months.
    Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com  
    Call or Whats-app him: +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete