Saturday, May 12, 2012


In the classic sci-fi movie, "Mad Max", gangs of people fight in a
post-nuclear wasteland over dwindling supplies. Above food, water, and
shelter, only one resource had higher value. Gasoline, a now truely
non-renewable resource, represented power to run the vehicles for one
more battle.

In its time, it was heralded as a masterpiece with multiple
environmental messages, even though one aspect was never really
addressed. What about alternative forms of transportation? Once all
the gasoline is gone, the junkyard gangs' war machines will grind to a
halt, never to awaken again. What would the dark heroes of the
wasteland rely on to help defend their pockets of civilization?

In the wasteland, dead ground as far as the eye can see, flattened by
a doom long enough past to be misremembered by the survivors, the
obvious answer was on the tongue of all the viewers of the film, even
though the characters never considered the possibility.


Bicycles. With a suite of tools a fraction of the size of a
functioning autobody shop, every bike can live again, in some form.
Every modern bike follows the same basic design, and uses parts with
industry standard sizes. Every bicycle chain is compatable with every
bicycle gear, and the same wrench will attach any pedal to any
sprocket.

When I first saw the Freak Bike workshop in Riga, Latvia, my mind
drifted back to that classic film. Each bike I saw was like a refugee
of a time that has never happened. In a world where the last modern
factory is collapsed and lost under radioactive sands and gasoline is
only a distant legend, the only readily available transportation will
be the bicycle. But no bicycle you have ever ridden.


They will be created out of the corpses of dead bicycles, refitted
into three meter tall mobile crow's nests, or welded to a partner
alongside to offer a platform to transport anything that the situation
requires. And being human, the decorative touches will be added by the
crafters to show pride in their work, creating something new and
functional out of the old and dead.

The entire concept of the freak bike speaks to a part of me which is
rarely stirred, sharing a hint of an unpleasant world where they are
not art, but a way of life, and the easiest way to help avoid such a
future is identical to what the people in the freak bike parade did:
Ride a bike.


Sam Piip

1 comment:

  1. A GREAT SPELL CASTER (DR. EMU) THAT HELP ME BRING BACK MY EX GIRLFRIEND.
    Am so happy to testify about a great spell caster that helped me when all hope was lost for me to unite with my ex-girlfriend that I love so much. I had a girlfriend that love me so much but something terrible happen to our relationship one afternoon when her friend that was always trying to get to me was trying to force me to make love to her just because she was been jealous of her friend that i was dating and on the scene my girlfriend just walk in and she thought we had something special doing together, i tried to explain things to her that her friend always do this whenever she is not with me and i always refuse her but i never told her because i did not want the both of them to be enemies to each other but she never believed me. She broke up with me and I tried times without numbers to make her believe me but she never believed me until one day i heard about the DR. EMU and I emailed him and he replied to me so kindly and helped me get back my lovely relationship that was already gone for two months.
    Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com  
    Call or Whats-app him: +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete